Monday, February 15, 2010

Our Weekend of Projects!

Our weekend has been quite busy. Initially, we had taken Friday off work to run errands and clean the garage. Well, the garage plans were off because it rained ALL DAY. We ran the errands we could and we S.H.O.P.P.E.D till we dropped.


We do not exchange gifts for occasions, such as Valentine's Day. We spend time together and get what we want. Hubby wanted a welder and Harbor Freight had a great one on sale.

Guess what I got!!!!!!




Did anyone see my wishlist on the left?



I got a Cricut Expression!

However, I have only opened it. Upon investigating the Cricut forum, I discovered that you MUST know what you are doing. It doesn't "just do it". So, I am now scared I will cut my mat. If anyone has used a Cricut Expression, I would appreciate input greatly.

We also, did A LOT of Goodwill shopping. I bought:

A rocking chair and ottoman. The wood is in great shape, but, we will need to replace the fabric.

a great chair to redo

a table to redo and make a lego table

lots of toys for my grandson

more candle sticks and platters

I know I am forgetting something...


Our projects this weekend were cake plates and candle holders. While at the thrift shops, Goodwill and Salvation Army, I am always on the lookout for candle sticks and platters/plates to attach to each other. Here are a few from this weekend.



Photobucket






Photobucket

Here is the top of this one:
Photobucket






Photobucket

Here is the top of this one:

Photobucket







Photobucket


And the top of this one:
Photobucket





And the candle holders we made: (Can you believe these cost $2 to make!)


Photobucket


Another angle:


Photobucket


And the other:

Photobucket


and the other angle:
Photobucket


There is another fantastic project that I will post once I get the final shot! I can't wait to show you!!!

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Very fun project! I wish I was a little more crafy and creative! Thanks for commenting at POM! I am your newest follower!

http://thepursuitofmommyness.com

Bethany said...

This is pretty cool. The hubster and I are in the process of buying a new house and I'm looking forward to all of the Goodwill crawls that I'll be doing to decorate.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Rachel Cotterill said...

We do "time together" instead of presents on Valentines - mostly we struggle to think of stuff that we want!

I'd never heard of a Cricut before, but now I'm intrigued... can't wait to see what you make with yours :)

Mom in High Heels said...

Fantastic! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll have a post up soon about the rest of my trip to Metz. I went for a flea market! FUN!

Just call me "B" said...

Love them!

M said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE them! I need to do a goodwill run now. You have inspired me!

Crafty Brooklyn Army Wife said...

Thanks for stopping by from SITS and leaving a message at my blog.

Don't be intimidated by the Cricut Expression. Just follow the instructions in your book and just play around with it. Your mat will be fine. It will get normal wear and "cuts" in it. Its designed for it. But, after a while you will have to replace it. Also, you will have to replace the blades after so many cuts. You can leave the default settings or you can follow in the book to make the settings for vinyl, regular or thick CS. Let me know how it goes.

All my best,
Alisha

Anonymous said...

I have a Cricut and I really don't think you should worry too much. I don't think its too hard and the mats are going to get cuts. I barely read the manual and just jumped right in. This family doesn't do manuals. I do always practice on cheaper paper before doing a big project because I'm not that good. It's sometimes hard to gauge size. You and your hubby are like us, we did dinner and shopping but no special gifts, unless you want to count me snowblowing the drive for the hubby today.

Thanks for visiting.

Crafty Brooklyn Army Wife said...

A blogging friend of mine posted this tip on her blog about making the mats last longer. I am going to try this with my new mats. Here is the link http://archiving-angel.blogspot.com/2010/02/money-saving-tip-for-your-cricut-mat-is.html.

BTW, forgot to mention...great finds!! The Goodwill here isn't that great :-( Oh well.

TTYS!!

Alisha

Nicole said...

First off...thanks for the sweet comments on my blog:) I think my kiddos are pretty cute too!
And the Cricut......LOVE it! You will be fine! I made my husband show me how to do now I use it all the time! Have fun!

iram said...

wao what a how crafty the candle holders are just beautiful ...please also visit my blog for my latest post HOME MADE SKIM MILK

Unknown said...

I love making these! It's such a great use of mismatched glassware!

Embellished Bayou said...

These turned out beautifully, good job!

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Those candle holders are amazing.

fraizerbaz said...

Cool finds! You can find some pretty neat things at thrift stores!

Unknown said...

I want all of those! Wish I could find stuff like that at my local thrift store. Thanks for linking up to Whatever Goes Wednesday at Somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

Sandra said...

I recently got a Cricut for Christmas and had a wonderful time making tags, banners and Valentine gifts with it. Love your makeovers with crystal and glass...so fun. Come stop by.

The Weathered Cottage said...

cute cute cute! the last one is my favorite! And don't worry, I was afraid of my cricut at first too, but it is so easy!!

The Bearded Lady (Laura) said...

I LOVE them!! Great work and GREAT idea!! Thank you for sharing!!

Nikki said...

LOVE those!!!!!! We must be kindred spirits or something cuz we both love Dollar Store crafts, and my project tomorrow includes the background of your blog!!!!!!! LOL I just love black and white!!! :)