Monday, March 7, 2011

Saturday Night Supper Club: Rum Cake





{{{Drool}}}} 
My mouth is, again, watering just at the thought of sharing this slice of heaven recipe with you. As you may have read HERE and HERE, we had our Saturday Night Supper club this weekend. We capped it off with a dessert of Rum Cake. The guests were all smiles when we presented this dessert. The cake is positively simple, although layered preparation. This cake should be reserved for the adults. I know they say alcohol cooks off, but I am not going to be the one to give this to my kids. I'd rather make a separate dessert for them.
This cake really knocked their socks off! One friend, who said he typically doesn't favor dessert, thought this was the best cake he'd ever had. 
Read on, readers for a step-by-step photo recap. You won't even believe how easy this cake is...and your friends and family will thank you. Ours sure did!




Ingredients:

  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
  • 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup dark rum
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup dark rum


Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). 
Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. 
Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over the bottom of the pan.


{all images}

In a large bowl, combine cake mix and pudding mix. 
Mix in the eggs, 1/2 cup water, oil and 1/2 cup rum. 
Blend well. Pour batter over chopped nuts in the pan.


Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes,
or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. 




Mix Glaze:
About 10 minutes before cake is done, in a saucepan, 
combine butter, 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. 
Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil
 for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup rum.





While completely baked cake is still in it's pan, SLOWLY drizzle about
1/3 of the glaze onto the cake.
Let the cake sit about 10 minutes to allow the liquid to absorb and
for cake to cool.




Once cake has cooled, turn out onto serving plate. 


Using a fork, gently poke holes all over the cake. You want to be 
gentle as to not tear the cake. The holes allow the liquid to seep in. 



Slowly drizzle remaining syrup over the top of the cake. I found for me, 
pouring the syrup (not too hot to break the glass. Mine had cooled.)
into a class measuring cup allowed me to drizzle better. 


Allow cake to be fully cooled and room temperature before serving.


Mmmmm. Doesn't that look heavenly?


10 comments:

Infatuated with Homes and Gardens said...

what a fun way to spend Saturday night, I will definitley try this recipe:)

Lisa said...

This looks delicious! I bought one in Jamaica after i heard they were really good and I was in heaven eating it! I'd love to try to make one myself!

Tammy @ Type A said...

this look too yummy, i love cake! thanks for sharing this at my party!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

This sounds heavenly!!! And easy too.

I'm hosting a weekly link up, Sweet Tooth Friday, and I'd love to have you share your recipe. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/10/vanilla-donuts/

HaleyLeann said...

Oh yum! Desserts are totally my weakness! This looks so full of flavor and rich! Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!

Naturally Me Creations said...

This sounds really interesting and delicious...i'm copying the recipe. ;)

Tnx so much for stopping by to link this up at my party this weekend! :D

PERMANENT POSIES said...

Oh my! Again.....yum--o! Haven't made this in eons. This recipe looks like a winner.

Unknown said...

mmm..rum cake. always a favorite of mine. thank you for sharing your saturday night supper club with tuesday night supper club ;)

Stacey - Elle Belle said...

That looks amazing! I want to eat it with a cup of coffee every morning!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

This is what I call a wonderful cake! Thanks for sharing last week on Fresh Clean and Pure Friday/Seasonal Saturday last week. I also dearly love those precious green Jadite dishes! Hope you can visit again with more great posts this weekend!