Monday, April 4, 2011

In The Kitchen: Cookbook Testing Ina Garten's Back To Basics



I drive my husband crazy with my cookbook obsession. I have an entire bookcase filled with cookbooks as well as some stashed here and there. What I’d like to do as a new regular feature is test a few recipes from a cookbook and let you know what we thought about that cookbook. While he is more experienced and experimental, I am a true recipe follower and will be giving you the scoop on how easy the book is to follow.

This week’s book is Ina Garten’s Back to Basics. I’d been dying for this book. I love Ina’s show and all of her recipes seem simple and easy to follow, and like us, she loves to entertain. This weekend, however, I was a little under the weather so the recipes were experimented on with family for our weekly family meal night and not so much with friends or Supper Club night.

Denise Says:
Important in a cookbook to me are photographs, and these are beautiful. In this book, Ina Garten provides little extra tips, important when you consider yourself a novice, as I do.  The tips are not drivel, as in some cookbooks, but truly useful information such as basic ingredients to have on hand or adding coffee to your chocolate desserts.
I’ve watched some other cooks on TV that want you to buy the best of everything. In some cases it just doesn’t matter. Ina lets you know which ingredients that you will need to get high quality. Also important to me was that the recipes called for ‘normal’ ingredients. By this I mean foods we can find locally and not have to hunt for to complete a recipe. I hate that!
Another important factor of this book, it lays flat when open.  Cookbook manufacturers, when are you going to get it? How are we supposed to follow a recipe when it closes on us?


Dave says:
I am what I call a more meat and potatoes/comfort food/ old-fashioned kind of guy. While I truly enjoy cooking and like to experiment, I am not into odd foods. While she does drive me crazy with her cookbook obsession, I was really excited to try her choice in this cookbook. “Back to Basics” sounds like normal, easy to find foods. When we started looking at all of the recipes, we found it hard to come to the conclusion on what to make. They all look so wonderful!
While Denise enjoys pictures, they are not as important to me; however, the pictures were mouth-watering.
This cookbook may be called ‘Back To Basics’, but they do take some time to execute. These are not 30 minute meals. To me, these recipes are good for family as well as entertaining. 


What do WE think?
This cookbook is a definite buy! Loved it! Easy to follow, great pictures, delicious recipes... what more could you ask for?


Our first test was Coq Au Vin. I was intimidated by the name alone. Dave being the more experienced and experimental of the two of us is never intimidated. However, this was extremely to follow, even for me. We thoroughly enjoyed the final product, as did the family. This recipe is a keeper and we will surely make it again.

For the next test, my wonderful hubby let me sleep in and he made Easy Sticky Buns for breakfast. Isn’t he a doll? He said they were oh-so easy to accomplish since you use puff pastry and he didn’t have to make the dough. These were quite delicious and would make an awesome presentation for a breakfast for company!

And for the final test, again that wonderful husband of mine made BC Company Pot Roast for Sunday dinner. I was doing laundry and ironing for the work while he slaved in the kitchen. This turned out ahh-mazing! Since it was just the two of us last night, we are delighted there will be leftovers of this magnificent roast. For lunch today we will be having pot roast sandwiches made from the leftovers!

As we make more from this and other cookbooks, we will continue our series. And as a final note, we highly recommend this cookbook!






19 comments:

MommyLisa said...

Ina Gaarten is my FAAAAVORITE! Love her. I make her lasagna recipe from FoodNetwork.com

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Thanks for coming by and linking up to THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS "Hubby Cooks"!
I can't wait to see all the recipes we get linked up this week, be sure to come back and check them out!

http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/search/label/THIS%20WEEKS%20CRAVINGS
(Sneak Peak.. next Monday is "Bring out your best Egg dish")

Unknown said...

There's lot of yummy meals planned this week.

Have a wonderful week.

fall soft on a thought said...

love the initiative - so many recipes out there to try! i'll definitely be trying those sticky buns. glad i found your blog.

the country cook said...

Sounds like your husband can COOK! :-) Those sticky buns look amazing. Thanks for linking up! - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

Robyn | Add a Pinch said...

You had me at sticky buns! :)

Thanks so much for joining in this week's Mingle Monday. What a FUN week!!!

Brittany said...

These look FANTASTIC!
Thanks for sharing them at this weeks Seasonal Sunday Event!! :) Hope you will come back soon!
xo- Brittany

Mary said...

Your hubby did a really great job! Thank you for linking to Masterpiece Monday. Have a great week, Mary :O)

Rleen said...

Looks so yummyyyy.... Thank you for sharing!
Hugs, Rleen

My Garden of Eden said...

YUMMO!!!!!!

Thanks for linking up to What's in Your Garden!!

Abbi

Kristen said...

So many wonderful recipes! Thanks for sharing this great review.

Unknown said...

Hi!!! I'm stopping by and following from Catch A Wave Wednesday. I hope you'll check out my blog Frazzled Mama at http://frazzled-mama.com and follow me back. Have a great day.

Our Italian Kitchen said...

That's so sweet your hubby cooks! Those sticky buns looks great! And you can't wrong with Ina!

Krissa said...

I have this cookbook too! But I haven't even tried anything out of it yet, because I've been busy trying recipes out of two of her other cookbooks! I think the chive risotto cakes sound good though!

PERMANENT POSIES said...

Sticky buns are my favorite and I am in search of the world's best! This looks like a good one! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

great post
please stop by and say hi
www.itsybitsybrianna.wordpress.com

xoxo
bB

Life Of A Southern Couple - Brittany said...

Isn't it great to have a husband that cooks? Mine does too and I just love it! We have the best time in the kitchen together. Those sticky buns look delicious I will definitely have to try those!

Unknown said...

Yummy sticky buns!! Lots of cook books are a good thing too. :) Thank you for linking to my K.I.S.S. blog bash this past week. I so appreciate you taking the time to share your yummy recipes. Tomorrow is another blog bash, please drop by & share more of your inspiring ideas!

Drop By The Tattered Tag

Stacey - Elle Belle said...

Yes please!