Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Glazed Doughnut Muffins


 I am a girl with a sweet tooth. The hubby? Not so much. Let me tell you, doughnuts and muffins are two of my absolute favorite breakfast items. First, obviously because of the sweet tooth. Second, they can be prepared ahead and grabbed on the way out the door in the morning. I came across this recipe for glazed doughnut muffins and knew it was for me. These might just become one of our new breakfast standbys!

P.S. Guess what? Hubby loved them!


Glazed Doughnut Muffins
INGREDIENTS
FOR THE MUFFIN BATTER
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 to 1 ¼ teaspoons ground nutmeg, to taste (I used ¾)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
MUFFIN GLAZE
3 tablespoons butter; melted
1 cup confectioners’ sugar; sifted
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons hot water
DIRECTIONS
1) Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin tin. Or line with 12 paper muffin cups, and grease the cups with non-stick vegetable oil spray; this will ensure that they peel off the muffins nicely.
2) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars till smooth.
3) Add the eggs, beating to combine.
4) Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla.
5) Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
6) Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan, filling the cups nearly full.
7) Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they’re a pale golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
8.) In a medium bowl, prepare the glaze by mixing together the melted butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and water. Whisk until smooth.
9.) When muffins have cooled slightly, dip the muffin crown into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden. At this point, you can leave them as is or go for the double dip. I glazed my muffins twice.
10.) Serve warm, or cool on a rack and wrap airtight. Muffins will keep at room temperature for about a day.

 Recipe via The Bakery Spot

19 comments:

Mrs Happy Homemaker said...

This is ingenious - love!

Unknown said...

Wow what an awesome idea! Glazed donuts are my fav, I'm sure I'd love these. Thanks!

meg said...

these look AMAZING! will be making them soon!

Rebecca said...

These look delicious, hope to try them soon.

Patricia said...

This is an great idea. I copied the recipe. Can't wait to try it on the grandkids.

Following via It's A Keeper.

Following you now.

http://itsabouttimemamaw.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Uh... yum! What a neat (and dangerous) idea.

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating said...

YUM!!! Putting this on my FB page today! Thanks for linking to Thrifty Thursday!

Christina @ Still Lucky said...

Oh my gosh these are genius! Can't wait to try this, so excited! :)

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

These look wonderful!!! My oldest has a peanut allergy so store bought donuts aren't safe. This is a great alternative! Thanks. :)

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

These look amazing! I LOVE glazed donuts and cannot wait to try these. I hope you will stop by my HomeMade Monday blog party next week at HomeSavvyAtoZ.com to share this recipe!

Terri said...

Look yummy! can't wait to try it.

Heather said...

I have a muffin monday feature on my blog. These look perfecto!! http://bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com

annies home said...

these sound yummy

Amanda Dickson said...

Just made a double batch...the kids at church should love them. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Jill said...

Oh they look so tasty!

Thanks for linking to the Creating Success Worldwide blog hop!! Hope you'll come back again next week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Christina said...

YUM!!! My husband looked at them and told me to write the recipe down...think he wants me to make them :)

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"!

Miz Helen said...

What a great idea for an all American favorite. I just love your Glazed Doughnut Muffins. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon. Hope you are having a great week!
Miz Helen

Christina @ Still Lucky said...

Hi again, I just wanted to let you know that I'm featuring your muffins as one of my bookmarks from the past few weeks. Hope you can stop by to see!

Samantha said...

Pinned this recipe and plan on making these this weekend.. if I can wait that long that is :)