Tuesday, July 5, 2011

In The Kitchen: Overnight French Toast Casserole





I love simple things that are somehow spectacular...like this Overnight French Toast Casserole. I have tried several Baked French Toast casseroles in the past but this is the one that my family loves.  Baked French Toast Casserole is decadent yet simple and elegant and a great breakfast for company.

What I like best is that it can be prepared the night before, popped in the oven in the morning and no morning breakfast mess. I like to spend my time with my family and guests, not in the kitchen.

We hope you enjoy it and that it becomes a family favorite at your house too!



Overnight French Toast Casserole

Ingredients
1/4 cup (4 T.) butter, melted
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 loaf challah bread
8 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup whole milk
1 T. vanilla extract
1 t.  ground cinnamon
1/4 t.  ground ginger
1/2 cup pecans, measured then chopped
1/8 t. salt
maple syrup and powdered sugar for topping, optional

Directions
In a bowl, combine the brown sugar and melted butter. Pour in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Arrange slices of bread in the baking dish overlapping if necessary.
Combine milk, eggs, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and ginger in a bowl. Pour evenly over bread slices. Sprinkle the chopped pecans over bread slices. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and take the casserole out of the fridge. Let the casserole sit to room temperature while oven preheats. Bake casserole for 30-35 minutes. If the top starts browning too quickly, place a foil loosely over the top of the casserole for about the last 10 minutes or so. Remove casserole from oven. Let it cool slightly before serving. 


8 comments:

Lisa said...

Yum! You have no idea how addicted I am to this stuff! I love it! : )

Anonymous said...

This looks so good. I'm hosting a recipe only link party today called "Cast Party Wednesday". This recipe would be a perfect addition. I would love it if you came by and shared some of your recipes with us.
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!

Jenn@TheCakeDish said...

I am always on the lookout for a yummy French Toast Casserole! Can't wait to try this one!

Ladybird Ln said...

This sounds delicious, and I love that you can make it ahead of time!

Carlee
www.ladybirdln.com

Unknown said...

I am a huge French Toast fan. Looks goooooood.

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

Yum! Following you from Someday Crafts. Would love to have you link this up at my {wow me} wednesday link up party going on right now. :)

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

Margo said...

I am bookmarking this to try! I love baked french toast recipes because when I make it in the frying pan, I always wonder if the egg gets cooked inside the bread or just on the outside. If it's made in the oven I know it's cooked well. This looks delicious!

Rhonda said...

I love overnight French Toast Casserole but I love to do it in my crock pot. I use the crock pot liners (found in the aisle with other oven bags)* and follow the directions for using the oven except I cook it on low for 6-8 hours. During the final 30 minutes, keep the lid lifted by placing a table knife across the top to allow steam to escape. Casserole is done when a knife inserted comes out clean.

This works really well when you do not want to heat your home during these hot summer days.

*If you do not have the liners, then grease the sides of the crockpot with margarine or before adding ingredients.