As an avid IKEA lover, I needed to share this!
Materials: (3) 2x2 EXPEDIT bookcases, (3) 2x4 EXPEDIT bookcases, wall-mounting hardware, (2) long pieces of 2x4 lumber, shims, base & crown moulding, mitre saw, paint (color matched to match EXPEDIT shelving) & paint supplies, nail gun with finish nails, PJAS baskets, LEKMAN boxes (red) **** plus a TON of other IKEA items to create a kid's playroom (RIBBA picture ledge for books, SNOIG wall lamps, DUKTIG kitchen, KRITTER chairs, STUVA bench as a table, GRUNDTAL wall racks & caddies, etc.)
1. Assemble the EXPEDIT bookcases.
2. Start from the bottom corner, mount the first 2x4 bookcase to the back wall, ensuring that it's level by adjusting brackets. We used 2x4s under the bookcases to raise it up enough so the base moulding wouldn't overlap with the bottom shelf.
3. Mount the top right 2x2 bookshelf, ensuring that it's level with first bookcase by using shims and adjusting brackets.
4. Mount the next 2x4 bookshelf, again using shims and adjusting brackets to ensure it's level with the bookshelves already installed.
5. Continue with remaining bookshelves - it can be fairly time consuming depending on how straight your walls are. (ours aren't!)
6. Measure and use the mitre saw to cut the moulding pieces to fit the bookcases. Paint the moulding to match EXPEDIT (warm white).
7. Attach the moulding to the bookcases using a nail gun with finish nails. Touch up if needed with joint compound and more paint.
8. Fill to your children's delight!
~ Kristi, Arlington, VA