Sunday, March 6, 2011

Saturday Supper Club: Spanish Night



Recently we started a supper club with some friends. Luckily we are blessed to have some close friends nearby and there are 5 couples total that participate. We do our supper club gathering as often as every week, but we are okay with once a month, as schedules get busy. We'd been wanting to start one ever since we stumbled upon the blog Maggie's Dinner Dates


Our most recent supper club was Saturday night and was supposed to feature Puerto Rico and it's dishes. It ended up as a mish mash of Puerto Rican & Mexican due to our lack of knowledge and time for research for drinks and side dishes. 


To wet their appetites for a delicious meal to come, we served our homemade Guacamole with warmed chips, while they waited for the main event.


So, what did end up on the menu, you ask? We had, our now famous in these circles, Puerto Rican Pork. A friend of mine made it several times for work pig-outs and gave me the recipe. There may be another name, of which she and I were not aware of, so this is what I named it. I will provide the recipe in a future post (update: posted HERE). 


Pernil


Just look at that 'fall off the bone' goodness! Juicy and so, so tender. This amazing roast provided the evenings oohs and aahs as it was brought to the table. 


Our spectacular spread included the Puerto Rican pork, a Mexican rice side dish and fresh green beans. Prior to the meal, we had our homemade Guac, which we still left for them to enjoy with their meal, if they so desired. We served the meal with Sangria, glasses rimmed with a sugared, frozen lime. Mmmmm.


We topped of the already delicious meal with a homemade Rum Cake, recipe provided in a later post (update: posted HERE). If we'd thought  the Puerto Rican pork that emitted ooohs and aaahs were the end of the accolades, we were wrong as the cake really knocked their socks off! One friend, who said he typically doesn't favor dessert, thought this was the best cake he'd ever had. We had a fantastic time with great friends & good food. Who could ask for more? 


Have a get-together with your friends? Let's see it! Show it off! Send us a link, or better yet, we'd love to do a guest post on your get-together!


Like what you read?
Subscribe to EPM via email or Google Reader
Subscribe To Our Feed

14 comments:

Kristen said...

oh, I desperately want to do a supper club! We so rarely entertain at home and there's just something so wonderful about it.

MrsJenB said...

Yum! I'm so jealous - I would love to do a supper club like this! Now you've got me thinking... :-)

Savannah said...

stopping in from comment cocktail hour! congrats!

Anonymous said...

My cousin and I used to go to the Melting Pot with two of our friends for ladies night on Monday's. We haven't been in a while, but it was always a real treat, and an awesome deal. That place is absolutely delicious. I love going out with friends. :)

Karen T said...

You're making me so hungry! I already follow your blog, but it was fun to stop by with the SITS Comment Hour.

SarahB said...

A supperclub!!! Wow I love this idea! My Hubby & I love to entertain & this is a great way to do it!!

SarahB
Www.blissfulblatterations.com

Jamee said...

That pork looks so good! Stopping by from SITS comment hour!

Caren said...

I've always wanted to do a supper club, but with kids it just hasn't happened. cocktail hour

The Reason You Come said...

Would love to join a supper club, too, although since I'm a vegetarian, maybe it will be hard to find one. The concept of Spanish Night seems interesting. Here from Comment Hour, stopping by to say hi!

Unknown said...

OH my goodness that sounds yummy!

Heather said...

Wow! A supper club sounds so much fun. Unfortunately if I did one right now I am afraid it would only include chicken nuggets and mac and cheese.

Toqua's Crafts said...

How fun to be able to have friends to get together with for a Dinner Club! The roast looks yummy!!


Visiting from the SITS Tweet Party #CommentHour!

Blessings,
Toqua
http://ToquasCrafts.blogspot.com

shelley said...

omg super clubs what a wonderful idea... i'm going to have to chat with the hubby about this one.. i love to entertain, ok that is an understatement my husband will tell you sometime i live to entertain lol... anyhow drop me a line i just spent a year on a home renovation to make our home fully inclusive for our daughter with cp! and i'm an int designer too!
stoppin by this am since my fingers didn't type so fast last night from #commenthour
*waving,
shelley :)

Lanita said...

That just sounds like fun!