Monday, February 28, 2011

Balancing Meal Time




Our Quest To Save Money & Eat Better

While we are avid couponers and save a lot of money by using coupons, we often fail because we forget to get something out to thaw and end up eating more expensive frozen meals or eating out. We work a full time job and have a 1 hour commute back home and this leaves us with little time and little energy or desire to cook upon returning home. In an effort to utilize the savings we have already acquired, I am attempting to schedule what we will be eating and using the crockpot more. So, as we begin this quest, I am sharing todays recipe.

{This turned out fabulous! Since mine had to cook so long (10 hours on low and then warm) I will probably add more liquid or another can of tomatoes next time}

Slow Cooker A. 1. Swiss Steak

Recipe obtained from My Coupon Teacher
2 lb. boneless beef roast, cubed into 1" pieces – Whole eye round roast $3.49/lb.
1/4 c A.1. Original Steak Sauce – $2.99/10 oz.
1 onion, sliced
1 can diced tomatoes – Hunts 4/$5.00
2 T flour
1/4 c water
Toss the cubed beef with the A.1. sauce and place in the slow cooker.  Top with the onions and tomatoes, cover and cook on low 9-10 hours or high 4-5 hours.  Mix flour and water and stir into meat mixture.  Cook, covered, 5 min. or until sauce is thickened. 
As the goal is to save money, serve with healthy foods that  you have acquired on sale.

If you have tips for meal time or tried and true crockpot recipes, please share!

11 comments:

annies home said...

this sounds so delicious and love the fact that it is economical sound as well

Chocolate Drool and Kisses said...

Yum I will have to give it a try!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

I can so relate with needing to dust off that crockpot, but not the hour commute. WOW!! I have no excuses now :) Thanks for linking up to Tasty Tuesday. (I'd love for you to link back to share the love. )

Miz Helen said...

Swiss Steak in the Slow Cooker is a winner every time. Thank you for sharing and have a nice day!

PERMANENT POSIES said...

That looks really great....and simple. I think I'll try it tomorrow.

Christa said...

That sounds delicious! As a busy pastor's wife and homeschool mom, I love Crockpot recipes, too (even without the long commute). :) My husband loves A1, so we'll have to give this one a try!

Tammy @ Type A said...

That sounds so yummy! Thanks for sharing this at my party!

Unknown said...

Yum! I am making a crock pot meal today that I have never tried. It's Paleo (clean eating) recipe. It's a roast, sweet potatoes, onion, green curry paste covered in coconut milk. It smells amazing! Hopefully tasted well too..thanks for linking up!

Jill said...

Yummy, I need to break out my crock pot. It's been too long!

Unknown said...

ooh,i bet this is yummy. a-1 sauce has such nice flavor. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

Unknown said...

My slow cooker is my BFF! I host Crock Pot Wednesday so Iobviously love mine! Thanks so much for linking to What's On the Menu Wednesday last week. I really appreciate it and can't wait to give this a hope Spring is headed your way. I am sooooo ready!