Monday, February 7, 2011

How's It Hangin'?


You know how you always check the ‘dollar spots’ and bargain zones at your favorite stores with big dreams of finding something amazing for a really good price but all that remains is usually kiddy items and items that no one would actually want, even if it was free? Well, I try to check the Michaels and Target ‘dollar spots’ regularly, with these dreams. On a recent Michael’s run with that exact experience in mind, I was pleasantly surprised. Turns out they had something that actually had some potential.

Remember I told you about my shoe changing nook by the front door? You know, where we told you about the ottoman and its fabulous storage? I had also told you about the coat rack that would be coming in a soon-to-be published post? Well, that day is today!

We do have a closet there but would like to utilize it for storage and needed a coat rack for guests. This recent trip to Michael’s solved that dilemma. We snagged some fabulous knobs for $1 each and in what seemed like just minutes later, we had a super easy but fabulous coat rack! We had the board in the garage and simply cut a piece off, routered the edge, drilled the knob holes & hanging holes, painted and ta-da!

This will be super practical when it comes to wrangling purses, scarves, dog leashes, and guest coats. We’re just a-place-for-everything-and-everything-in-its-place kinda people, so we like creating systems that make things feel organized and automatic.  
{sorry about the shots-this is a hard location to get a good shot} 
So what about you, my readers? Do you have a little specialized corner for storing/wrangling specific items that you use on the regular? Is anyone else a fan of using simple coat hooks to keep things organized? Tell us all about it.

13 comments:

Sara said...

That's awesome

Anonymous said...

nice and practical.. great job!

Shandra Lenae said...

Hi There, Just stopped by from Meetup Mondays. I love the little knobs. What a great find! I looked around your blog and really appreciate the blog building info. it's just what I've been looking for!

Pamela said...

Great idea. A good way to keep things tidy.

the cape on the corner said...

love your creative title! that's what made me click thru. one can always use a space to corral things, great find with those knobs!

Be Colorful Coastal said...

very cute. I paint a lot of furniture pieces and I love Michael's too for their dollar hardware. Since I resell the pieces this really helps to keep the initial cost down. Your idea is oh so clever though. I will definitely have to remember it.
Pam

The Treasurista said...

Hop on over to the Party! Would love for you to link-up @

http://thetreasurista.blogspot.com/p/treasuristas-thursday-treasures-come.html

The Treasurista
Finding and Creating FUN things...

Melissa said...

Those knobs are fabulous! I love how you used them.

Jill said...

Lovely hanging rack! Always good to find a bargain!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit this week!
Hope you have a great weekend!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

Great find on the knobs, they look great!

Nikki said...

Love this! Such a good idea!

come link up at our party!
http://breadandbutter143.blogspot.com/

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

easy, pretty and very practical! my kind of project! :)
thanks for sharing @ ccc
gail

Holly Lefevre said...

Practical projects are always tops on my list! Great idea...I need more of this - we have no closets!