Monday, March 28, 2011

Slow Cooker To The Rescue: Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers



I want to thank all my loyal readers for sticking with me. Most of you know I hadn't posted since Friday. Both hubby and I were soooo sick. He started Thursday night and was so bad I'd actually not gotten any sleep. We both called into work, he being sick and I from lack of sleep. However, it was a good thing I called in as well. I ended up so sick that I lost three pounds this weekend. Believe me, although I can afford to loose the pounds, it was not in a good way. I am sure I will find them this week.  They are so much easier to find than to loose!

This week, we were not able to have a family meal night nor a Supper Club due to illness. Although we had not cooked at all, I am posting a tried and true recipe that happens to be one of hubbies favorites. While I have posted this under the category 'Slow Cooker To The Rescue', it would also apply to 'Balancing Meal Time'. It is a great family meal and, as it cooks while you are away at work in the slow cooker, allows for more quality family time because you are not tied to the kitchen. I hope you give it a try and love it as we do!


Slow Cooker To The Rescue: Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers



Ingredients 


6 large green bell peppers
2 cups cooked wild rice
1 1/2 pounds ground beef, preferably ground chuck
2 cups chicken stock
1 (16 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated ( I prefer shredded Velveeta. It melts the best)
1 large egg
Salt and pepper to taste
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon nutmeg

Directions

In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, cooked wild rice, ½ of the can of chopped tomatoes, onion, cheese, egg, red pepper flakes, nutmeg, salt and pepper.  Mix well.  Cut just the tops off of the green peppers and remove seeds and ribs from inside.  Stuff with ground beef mixture. Place stuffed peppers stuffed side up in a slow cooker and pour stock and remaining tomatoes over. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5-6 hours or on LOW for 8-9 hours.

24 comments:

Unknown said...

MMMmmm. This looks great. I made a similar stuffed pepper but with turkey and cumin. I never thought to do it in the slow cooker! I will be trying this next time!

The Single Nester said...

My mom would always make stuffed peppers in the oven when I was younger. I am going to try this version.

Melissa said...

My hubbie would love that! Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All.

Unknown said...

WOW! This looks amazing! I've made stuffed peppers, and they turned out ok. This looks GREAT and I heart anything slow cooker. It automatically means EASY and YUMMY!!
Thanks for linking up!

Unknown said...

I love the idea of making these in the slow cooker.

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Thanks so much for linking up to THIS WEEK’S CRAVINGS.

We would like to invite you back next Monday for a new theme “Husband’s Cook”; so if you have a post already or want to get your significant other in the kitchen this week, next week’s linky party is gonna be loads of fun, I know I can’t WAIT to see what my “non-cooking husband is gonna make”!

http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/search/label/THIS%20WEEKS%20CRAVINGS

PERMANENT POSIES said...

Did you leave the meat raw before stuffing it or was it already cooked? I love stuffed bell peppers but have never used a crockpot. I just bought rainbow peppers today and want to try this but, just wasn't sure whether to cook the meat first.

Jennifer Juniper said...

Anything using a slow cooker saves my live when it comes to dinner time!

Stacy Risenmay said...

Yummm!!! I am going to feature this on Thursday. Thanks for linking it up!

Nicole Carpenter said...

Slow cookers were the greatest invention ever!

I'm visiting from the blog hop... I'm your newest follower, and I look forward to your future posts:)

xo

PS- I would love for you to stop by my blog www.theficklenickle.com

Anonymous said...

Looks AMAZING!! This recipe would be PERFECT for my Foodie Friday linky party!! Please pop in Friday to link up!!

Rebecca said...

Using the slow cooker is my favorite way to make stuffed bell peppers...and well anything really. Love my slow cooker. =]

Jennifer said...

YUM! The pic made my mouth water!
Jen
Scissors & SPatulas

Ches said...

Sounds yummy, I'm adding to my "to try" list. Thanks for sharing.

Tammy @ Type A said...

i love stuffed peppers, these look great.

Unknown said...

Ohh that looks so good I do the same with ground turkey and cumin and cinnamon but never thought of doing it in a crockpot!
Thank you so much for linking up at Made it Wednesday!http://www.couponsoncaffeine.com/2011/03/made-it-wendsday-fabric-bulletin-board.html

Ashley said...

Thank you!! I wanted to make stuffed peppers this week and was feeling lazy about it. This will make things easy for me! Sounds delish too! :)

Carol said...

Your stuffed peppers looks fantastic!

Fuegita said...

that looks great

I am following you from the Welcome Wednesday. When you get a chance please follow me back. Thanks!

Marianne said...

Very nice. I have a similar recipe that I came up with to use up some leftover stuffing after Thanksgiving. I have wanted to try it again and might mix your recipe with mine and see how that goes.

HaleyLeann said...

Delicious! These look so pretty too! My family thinks it's a special treat when I make stuffed peppers. I think it's because they're so pretty when finished. Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I hope you are feeling better now. Thanks for linking this to My Meatless Mondays where we will feature it, tomorrow. This is a crock pot recipe, I can really enjoy.

Homemade Heather said...

Yummers! Thanks for linking up!

Janet said...

This looks delicious and I love that it's cooked in the slow cooker.