Thursday, August 11, 2011

Come on-a my house my house, I'm gonna give you candy



So, as I explained here, we are having a/c issues. There will be very little baking and cooking going on if it is hot in hereeeeeeeeeeeee. Needing something for snacks and breakfast, I turned to this tried and true recipe from the recipe box: No Bake Granola Bars. These are great treats for the kids (and me :).


Peanut Butter/Chocolate Chip Chewy Granola Bars

Ingredients
  • 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/4 – 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 cups plain granola
  • 1 cup rice cereal (Rice Krispies, etc.)
  • 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter chips

DirectionsCombine honey and butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in brown sugar after butter starts to melt.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat
Add the granola and rice cereal into the saucepan and fold them into the sauce until evenly coated.
Spread the mixture into two 9×5 pans or a 9×13 inch ungreased baking pan (see tips above) and press firmly with a spatula to evenly fill. Sprinkle the chocolate and peanut butter chips onto the top of the granola and gently press them down. Let sit for 15-20 minutes or until mostly cooled and set; cut into bars.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

OH -- these look FANTASTIC :)

Blessings!
Gail

Lisa said...

Wow, no baking? I never would have thought so!

Good luck with the a/c getting back on. We've had our a/c go out AND the power out for maybe 10 days total this summer. Not fun at all!

the cape on the corner said...

um...is that the hugh hefner tv show song? i'm trying to figure out where i know it from, lol.

those look like the perfect healthy yet still desserty snack!

Just Jaime said...

These look great. I don't really like the Quaker ones, but these look better!

Kimberly T. said...

Yum, those look really good! I think I'll have to make some for afterschool snacks. I bet they would freeze pretty well, too. My kids will love them!

a joyful noise said...

Amazing recipe and your photos are so enviting. Simple and easy too! Thanks for sharing

nella said...

I found you through JAG and can't wait to try this recipe. It looks to be easily adaptable for our kiddo's food allergies. Thanks!

Misty said...

This looks great for school lunchboxes and so much healthier than the precessed kind. Thank you!

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

I was just going to say that! These 'are' great for after-school snacks. Thanks for sharing with Sweets This Week.

Sarah

Herman Grans ♥ said...

YuM! :D

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

These look delish and easy to make!

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

Oh my goodness yum!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Your bars look delish! And I love that they are no bake! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring you this week. Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Denise,

Your title now has that song stuck in my head! :)
I was going to feature you, but I can't capture your picture. :(
thanks for sharing @ ccc
gail