Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Homemade, Handcrafted Gift




Remember I posted that I was swamped with family and projects and would be unable to post? One such project was rather large, we started LATE, and it made a great gift after all was said and done. We have a family member that moved into a new home that has a LARGE kitchen that needed something such as an island. This was a task we felt we could complete.







We had picked up a new kitchen cabinet at Salvation Army to use but it was brown. Not a problem for us, but we came across a white one on clearance. Off to a great start!






I had the vision but too many projects on my plate. I gave my hubby my plan and he completed the island. I wanted to cover the sides and back with bead board and trim it out to beef it up.





I wanted great looking feet as well. When you go look at furniture, you love the thick, round, great looking feet,right? While at the orange box I found a foot that was cute but not... thick...round. Well, I saw another piece and it hit me. We"ll put the two together and make a great foot!


Here are those beefed up feet completed. What do you think? 









{Back}










{front}








The top was purchased at Ikea. They will be putting bar stools on each end. It was quite difficult to find a top that we wanted and we had tried to find granite tiles but no longer can find them. 

Hubby worked hard to finish this with all that we already had on our plates. I think he did a great job!


14 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow, that was a genius idea. I wish I had room in my kitchen for one of those.

I am one of those that never see the potential in items of a different nature till someone make something like this, then I say, "Why didn't I think of that?" LOL

ificould said...

Wow, that turned out beautiful!! I REALLY love the feet - what great vision to see those together... don't think I would've thought of that.
CONGRATS!!
missy

Janet said...

You and your husband did a beautiful job designing and making this island. I really love the feet!

Anonymous said...

I love this. I am always seeing cabinets for so cheap! I might have to try this. Thank you for the tutorial and sharing!

http://alaynahoward.blogspot.com

j said...

That is an amazing transformation! I know the space must be handy.

Rachael said...

Wow that turned out amazing! Love the beadboard and the feet :) I hope you'll swing by my new linky party and share! http://www.lovelycraftyhome.com

Rachael said...

Thank you so much for joining the party today! I hope to see more of your projects in the future. Again, great work-anyone would be lucky to receive that as a gift (maybe me??) ;)

Anonymous said...

It looks great! Wish I had one for myself.

Madeline said...

Hello! I am your newest follower via blog hops!
Adorable Blog!
Would appreciate the follow back!!
http://professionallyinsanem.blogspot.com/

decorating diva {aka deanna} said...

awesome job on the island and great thinkin' on ur feet ;) for the feet!

Gay Vaughan said...

Love it! Just last week I was looking at a pre-made island that had wheels and I had the thought of beefing up some feet for it. Thanks for the joining the party.
~Gay~

Johnnie said...

This is great!!!
Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursdays. Blessings...

Megan Gunyan said...

Love it! The feet are pretty cool. I would love an island in my kitchen! But, it's too small. Sad...!

Unknown said...

turned out great love it