Monday, February 22, 2010

Award & Fabulous Finds

I'm so excited that I just been bestowed my SECOND SUNSHINE AWARD! To be featured with some fantastic bloggers like this is just great!

I want to give a HUGE THANK YOU to Jessica, Improbable Housewife .


Isn't it Pretty?

and now I must pass it on too

Photobucket

The rules for accepting the Sunshine Award are as follows… 1. Put the logo in my post or within my blog. 2. Pass the award onto 12 fellow bloggers. 3. Link the nominees within my post. 4. Let the nominees know they have received this award by leaving a comment on their blogs. 5. Share the love and link to the person who gave you the award!

Now, I get to pass this award on to 12 bloggers who bring a little sunshine to my day!

Here’s my sunshine award nominees







Remodelaholic

A Lemon Squeezy Home

Cookin’ Lean Like Paula Deen

Embellished Bayou

jam*n*jilly

Jimmy Choos & a Baby Too

Lanie J. and Co.

Posy Pocket

Sew Chic and Unique

Sneaker Teacher

Someday Crafts

The Seasoned Homemaker

I hope this inpires all of you to go see these fabulous blogs!




Fabulous Finds



I love the lines of old furniture and to take it and change it to make it mine and unique. The process can be quite simple, depending on your piece, yet provide you something that will be admired and treasured. No one else will have YOUR piece.

Often it simply takes a light sanding to rough up the surface, then one-two light sprays of a quality primer, followed by light sprays of the color of your choosing, building until you reach the desired finish. Complete the process with a spray of polyurethane.

One of my projects,
this chair, went from drab to fab, by simply following this process and changing the fabric on the seat. This chair was purchased for $10. We spent $10 on HIGH QUALITY spray primer and spray paint. You can spend less on the paint but may not get the finish that is the best. We also purchased high quality upholstery fabric from Calico Corners. We paid $10 for a yard of fabric. We only needed a very small piece and have quite a bit leftover for throw pillows. So, for less than $30, we have a showpiece.

Photobucket

Where do you find these great pieces? With patience and frequent trips to Goodwill, Salvation Army, other thrift stores or Craigslist and Freecycle.

To show you how great these items can be, I went on Craigslist today to show you what you can find.

Here is a fabulous
9 drawer dresser for $50!
This is a great deal! It has great lines and I would not be afraid to use it outside the bedroom. I would love this in my living room, near the front door with two lamps and a display of some sort. I would seperate the mmirror from the dresser. The mirror could also be used outside the bedroom with a little updating.

Photobucket

Here is a great chair
that would not only provide additional seating, but would be a great decorator item, once completed. The chair is only $39.

Photobucket

This shelf unit would be great in any room!
It would be useful to display items and provide additional storage. It comes with the tv for $150.

Photobucket

And last, but not least, this dresser is beautiful!
Again, it had beautiful lines and would be a great addition to a home. The dresser is $99.

Photobucket

Remember, a lot of people will negotiate. I purchased two chairs that had $25 marked for each. I asked the manager to make a deal and she said 2 for $30 and there is a $5 off coupon at the register! A great deal! I cannot wait to finish this project.

If you are afraid to embark on the adventure of refinishing, as many have disclosed to me, start small. Purchase one, inexpensive item with clean, simple, straight lines. Gently rough up the surface by sanding. Apply thin even coats of primer, followed by a quality spray paint, followed by a quality polyurethane. Always thin, even coats so that there are no runs. I was not out much money, and it turned into a fabulous chair with rave reviews.

35 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I admire people that can create beautiful furniture out of less than cute things. It's such a talent.

Veronica said...

I'm one of those who get a little scared to do a project like this. But in the grand scheme of things it is a great idea to do it this way..

Maybe I'll give it a try!

Sarah said...

What great finds! I'm always searching on Craigslist for a great deal! Just like my new china cabinet I'm going to re-do! I'm in love with the chair you revamped, I've been looking for one just like that one. Looks great! Your site is very cute, come visit me...I just finished my footstool (finally). I'm definitely adding you to my list, you've given me great inspiration.
-Sarah

Anonymous said...

I've got a few pieces already in the house that I need to refinish. I will definitely be coming to your site for advice! Lol. I can't wait to dig in but the weather has been so yucky & we do not have a garage. Sad part, it may have to wait until after we move in July so I CAN do it in the garage. I love your work. =)

Anonymous said...

You have an award waiting for you over at my blog, The Improbable Housewife. :)

I love all your ideas for the furniture... especially love the dresser up top. I wish I had a knack for refurbishing!

Sneaker Teacher said...

Thanks for the award!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

hi...thanks for stopping by my blog. when you have time, stop back and enter my giveaway. i am posting one each week until? who knows...until i run out of stuff!!! i can't wait to see what you do with that furniture. it has wonderful potential. i love thrift shops! i signed on to follow you too!!!

Unknown said...

Wow! Super sweet and a thank you for the award! I'm a new follower! ~Lanie J.

Maria said...

Stopping by from SITS!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I love shopping thrift and garage sales...always such beautiful things at such incredible prices.

Jessica said...

your chair turned out great!

said...

Congrats on your bloggy award!

Unknown said...

You have a great eye for fabulous finds. I really like the look of the finished chair. I can't believe that dresser was only $50. I would buy it and use it as is! Thanks for visiting me today.

The Undomestic Mom said...

Thanks for the award girl!!! You find the best stuff...I love your style!

Jennifer said...

Awesome. I'm always in awe of people that have the "eye" to see what they make stuff into. And I love that fabric on the chair.

Unknown said...

You do such a great job refinishing furniture. I saw what you did with that chair on your last post.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Denise,
It is so nice to meet you my friend! I really appreciate your kind visit to my blog. You are always welcome anytime!

You have a beautiful blog and I will be back again soon. You sure found some amazing buys here. ~Lovely job!

Many blessings to you and yours. ~Melissa :)

An Imperfect Momma said...

Thx for stopping by! I'm one of those who want to try things like this - but I'm too chicken. Hmmm maybe I'll give it a try...you've given me motivation. Congrats on your award btw!

Danielle said...

Wow! Amazing! I love to see great ideas come to life...wish I could have more patience to do it myself!

**btw...thanks so much for stopping by my site earlier. I really appreciate it!**

Dionna @ Code Name: Mama said...

LOVE that first chair! That fabric is excellent. Thanks for stopping by my site today :)

~Dionna @ Code Name: Mama
http://codenamemama.com

Small Burst said...

Congrats on the award. You are my kind of girl. I love craigslist and refurnishing furniture! Thanks for visiting SB.

Carrie said...

Oh, LOVE that chair! Thanks for stopping by my blog, and can't wait to see your future projects!

Mandi Miller said...

Those are awesome finds! Congratulations on your award! Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I'm a new follower :)

Nicole Renee said...

I love the dressers! I would love to have them in my home. Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Really enjoy your blog, lots of great ideas on here!

Unknown said...

I agree with the Blonde Duck...I so admire peeps like you who can create pretty out of not so pretty...that's just not me. Congrats on your Sunshine award lady!
http://thepursuitofmommyness.com

sarah said...

Yay for bloggy awards! I can see why you got it!

MommaKiss said...

Thanks for stopping by! loooove that white unit, it's right up my alley.

Amy @ The Mom Hood said...

You're very creative! I'm going to follow you and see what other great projects you have :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Anonymous said...

I love the piece for the tv. I'm a sucker for white wood! Congrats on your sunshine award!What a perfect award for your blog:)

Unknown said...

you did an amazing job refurbishing that chair! I will be back to check out more of your fabulous finds!m

karen@fitnessjourney said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog via SITS. I love getting a bargain at the thrift store and reworking pieces is a hobby of mine. If you are interested, I have a design blog where I discuss mainly ideas for decorating your home on a limited budget. No pressure, but if you're interested:

strictlysimplestyle.blogspot.com

Linda said...

Really like the chair with the fancy back. I love the local second hand stores.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your award and nice finds there. I appreciate the stopover from SITS too. I am already following from Friday Follow. Yay!

Anonymous said...

hey denise! your chair turned out beautiful! thank you so much for the sweet blog award! i will be doing my post very soon! i truly appreciate it and hope you will visit again soon!

Lindsay Rudolph said...

Hi Denise! Thanks for the award. I am so excited and plan on passing it on this weekend. Just wanted to let you know that it is great appreciated.

Take care!

Nicole@CraftySisters-nc said...

What a great blog! What great furniture finds! Love how your chair turned out! Can't wait to see wait to see what you do next!