Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Money Pit


I have a money pit.




I think everyone has one.




Mine is my husbands doing.




He has a saltwater fish tank.




The tank did fine in the beginning and looked fantastic.




Somewhere along the line his tank got red and green algae.




So, for about three years now, it has looked like crap with all the algae, has 1 fish, and he keeps sinking money into it.




Every couple weeks we pick up water for the tank. Special Water. This special water costs about $25 for (3) 5 gallon jugs.




So, let’s say he only picks up these 3 jugs once a month (although, I think it is a little more frequent than that). That is $300 a year!




Not to mention all the crap he has been buying for 3 years to try and make it go away, all the money he has sunk into the old fish and new fish only to die, etc.










If you have a Money Pit, tell me what yours is.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ordering sushi twice a week.

Lately, my friends at work also want to get Starbucks 2 or 3 times a week. Hard to resist!

cookinglady.bell5@gmail.com said...

Thanks for stopping by from SITS

Have a good one
http://thecookinglady.com

Christina said...

Great post! Following you back from Friday Follow!

Lori Danelle said...

Haha! Sorry to laugh, but we used to have a Koi pond. My husband hand dug it for me for my first Mother's day (with no research into it). Really sweet because I told him that I wanted one someday.

We bought about 6 fish for it. After the first week, I never saw them again. Not because they died, because of the algae.

He then started to research. He bought plants and pumps and filters. Still no sight of the fish.

He does some face to face research and comes to find it will cost $1000s a year to up keep a koi pond.

For my next Mother's Day present, he filled in the koi pond. :)

Heather said...

Bahaha, this is so crazy. I hate money pits. No wonder you are wanting to check out my site to save more money. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog. Excited to be checking you out more frequently. Also, the chair looks so good!
-Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

Kelly's Lucky You said...

Great post! We used to have a salt water tank too....very similar experience, but didn't seem quite as funny as yours. hehehe

I found you through Friday Follow - nice to meet you!

Would you follow me back?

Kelly from Kelly's Lucky You
www.kellysluckyyou.blogspot.com

Leslie said...

Thanks for stopping by...if you think your fishtank is a money pit...try owning a swimming pool!

Kristin said...

OUCH! Husbands, psh! Thanks for following me, Im returning the favor :) Love the chair BTW!

Unknown said...

Hi,

Just stopping by from Marketing Mondays.
Love the Chair!!!

www.LaurenNicoleGifts.com

Cranky Mommy said...

Well... I might have had a salt water fish tank money pit too! I'd nixed the idea for the time being because I learned it takes a lot of time to maintain but I don't know if I can bring myself to several hundred a year on fish water HAHA!