Friday, January 14, 2011

My Tips For Using Craigslist


As a huge fan of Craigslist and using it to pick up my inexpensive furniture finds, I have a few tips to pass along:


Use Keywords: While searching Craigslist, I have found keywords help narrow your search effectively. I use such keywords as vintage, or even as simple as armoire. Another option I have used is to search for the brand. Until I broke down and purchased a new couch, I was searching Pottery Barn (that was the look I wanted). However, you will need to keep in mind that there are people who won’t know that a keyword or brand will sell, or may not even know what they have.

Software: I no longer use the actual Craigslist site. I downloaded free software called CraigsList Reader Pro. It allows me to search multiple locations, multiple search criteria and even keywords. It also allows me to narrow by price. This is such a time saver when you are willing to travel to various areas to get your finds.

Alerts: Did you know that you can use Google Alerts to search Craigslist for you? All you need to do is type "treasurecoast.craigslist.org furniture " in the Search Terms box. Also select how often. I select ‘as-it-happens’ to get a jump on a possible deal. 


5 comments:

Val said...

Oh my goodness. Thank you for posting! I had no idea! This whole time I've been doing it the hard way :)!

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm stopping by from the Friday Hops to follow and to say hello.
Have a great weekend!
http://poshonabudget.com/2010/12/tgif-and-the-weekend.html

Kim, USA said...

Wow I didn't know this. Thanks for the info!
Follow Friday 40 & over

Anonymous said...

These are really helpful tips. Checking out the reader pro right now!

Becca said...

Oh wow, that is so cool! I would love to be able to check all of the Craigslists around me!