Monday, January 3, 2011

UPDATE: New Art, A Previous Project and My DIY Checklist

RUPDATE:
I have added the photo of the plate rack...

I must pat myself on the back because I got an amazing amount of stuff done this weekend..  I finally hung a vinyl I had gotten for my kitchen, glittered some ornaments for next year before putting away, made a framed piece of art for my beachy bathroom, shopped, thrifted, purged our coupon stash, fed the kids, changed diapers, picked up toys (over and over), and we played some Wii.  WOW. BUSY.

I thought I would give everyone a preview of some of what we achieved this weekend.  My bathroom theme, for now, is beachy and my kitchen is wine, food, etc.   Whatever I come up with that coordinates. My kitchen counter is still covered with a coupole of projects yet to be completed.  Without further delay, here's a peek...
I have to tell you, I am in love with my bathroom piece of art!  This was one of those projects that just hit me.  



First let me apologize for my photos. One of my goals for this year is to learn to use my cameras with a little more skill than I have exhibited thus far. I have a Canon, but doesn't do close-ups and you cannot change the lense (didn't know what I was doing when I bought that) and these were taken with a Nikon Coolpix. This is a framed piece of coral picked up on the beach in St. Pete, Florida. This framed coral and another, fuller piece of coral will be the "signature" pieces for this beachy bathroom. 


I had picked up this vinyl sometime ago and just got around to putting it up. It  will had something special and visual interest to the kitchen. The vinyl says:
"Good friends, good wine, and something with garlic"



I picked up this plate rack at Goodwill for a mere $3.00! The plates are from TJ Maxx. I believe they were about $2.99.



This was actually a last minute project just prior to Christmas. I had picked up some jars and candlesticks at Goodwill and made my own apothecary jars. I also made the small dish and candle from Dollar Tree supplies. The candle actually came 
from Wal-Mart because none of my Dollar Trees had pillars.  As many of you have probably seen on other blogs, the
snow in the jar and covering the candles is Epsom Salts.

I love re-designing my spaces and often feel it can bring me inspiration in other forms.  I have many revamp 
projects planned for this year. After seeing so many wonderful projects on other blogs, I have decided to keep
a binder with photos of things I am considering for my home from these great blogs.
Here is my DIY list for this year:

(I have a year but want it now LOL )

Painting all the walls and ceilings.

Making new art for my walls

Making throw pillows

De-cluttering and organizing my spaces.

Placing more items into bins and closed storage
Laundry room- I would love the built-in as seen on {Show and Tell}.
For lack of what else to call it, 2 coat racks. I picked up some really great knobs for the ‘hooks’.
Clock. This is to sell not to keep. Not my style but when I saw it I thought it would make a great clock.
Pantry- For the pantry, I want new wood shelves that are a better use for the space.
Currently there are wire shelves and they do not utilize the entire width. I also would like to 
replace the bi-fold door with a swing door and add a storage organizer with the plans found on Anawhite.com.
Replace closet doors in two smaller bedrooms with swing doors. Hubby says this can be accomplished but will
require a little more planning and work on his part than the door to the pantry.
We are considering a replacement of the bathroom vanity with a dresser.
Learn how to use my cricut.
Make 4x4 candle holders 



You can track my progress with the link on the top of my sidebar.
Share your checklist! I'd love to see it!


Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list...




And stop by Shannon's blog, The House Creative and link up there as well!
Photobucket




4 comments:

The House Creative said...

Great DIY list! You should come by and link to my 11 in 2011! Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Wow, you sure were busy! I like the art piece very much, and that saying for the kitchen is PERFECT!
I wish you the best in fulfilling your list!

Anonymous said...

Hi -- I'm visiting from Gay's party -- it's a Hodge Podge Life. I love your framed coral. It really caught my eye. Also I've seen those plates too and really loved them. I just didn't know where I would put them. Sounds like your planning is going well.

Holly Lefevre said...

I see many things on your list that are on mine. I just used my Cricut for the first time and I think I may be hooked. I saw a demo on the software and it looks awesome.