Friday, January 20, 2012

Cold Weather Meal: Slow Cooker Ham & White Beans

Ham Hocks and White Beans Recipe
While I may live in South Florida, it has had a chill in the air for a week or so now. For us, it comes and goes. Some days it may be 40's in the morning but get to 60's and 70's by day. Then there are some days it just stays cool. It is days like that when I yearn for those meals that we ate in the Midwest. Now, I do know it doesn't have to be cold. But, there is nothing like a cool or winters day and a cold weather meal. 


Since I also work outside the home, some of those meals are difficult to attain unless it is on the weekend. What I rely on heavily is the use of my slow cooker. I can capture the slow cooked taste and not come home from a long hard day at work and cook for hours. Last nights dinner was both... a cold weather meal utilizing my slow cooker. 



Slow Cooker Ham & White Beans





1 lb package dried northern beans
ham bone, hocks, shanks or diced ham (about 1 pound)
2 tsp onion powder
6 cups water
salt & pepper to taste


Rinse and sort the beans. Add the the rinsed beans, onion powder, salt, pepper, and ham to slow cooker. Add water. Cover and cook on low about 8 hours, until beans are tender. Serve with cornbread. I swear by Jiffy :)


3 comments:

Ann Summerville said...

Sounds like your weather is similar to ours in Texas. We're having a very unusually warm winter. Great recipe - thanks for sharing.
Ann

Alicia Zirjacks said...

Sound delicious!! Thank you!

xsandlapper said...

I'm going to try this next week. Last week I did blackeyed peas & ham. I could live off beans! lol

Thanks!

Sandee A.