Monday, January 21, 2013

My Secret Use for My Coconut Oil...

We've used coconut oil in our cooking, and recently, because I'm a HUGE fan of The Organic Momma, I started adding a tablespoon of coconut oil to my protein shakes. But today, I'm going to let you in on my super secret coconut oil use.


My secret? Hot Oil treatment using coconut oil! Partly because of my age, the fact that under the dye I am all grey, and that I not only get my grey hair salon dyed, I also get highlights. Oh, and my perpetual heat-styling!
I don't mind getting a salon treatment but why if I find a remedy that I can do myself that WORKS? Researchers found that coconut oil, which is a triglyceride of lauric acid (principal fatty acid), has a high affinity for hair proteins and, because of its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft. So, I figured I'd give it a shot!

How To's For Coconut Oil Hot Oil Treatment:


Wash and towel dry hair. Heat 1 TBSP of coconut oil in the microwave. Allow to oil to cool slightly so that you can handle it without burning yourself. Apply it to your hair and massage it from your roots to your tips. Comb through and cover with a shower cap (or plastic bag) and sit under a hairdryer with low heat for 15-20 minutes (or cover with a warm towel for 15-20 minutes – you can heat it in the clothes dryer).Shampoo your hair and rinse. I had to rinse it a lot to get the oil out!!!! RINSE RINSE & RINSE! I can’t emphasize this enough. RINSE or else your hair will look super greasy! Do this once a month. It will keep your hair smooth and shiny!



No comments: